View Single Post
Old 10-24-2007, 11:19 PM
Administrator

Default Did any hand made plate for any set ever have to be replaced?

Posted By: 1880nonsports

was the same in concept - for the Ginter and early chromo/stipple/and whatever produced cards - the images were produced directly from the stone. The difference in the T cards is the the heavy and cumbersome stones no longer had to be moved around - and enjoyed a greater survival rate. No guarantee whether written or implied relative to the aforementioned - I have seen the early stones in person and have tried in recent times to learn more about printing and production used on my cards. I believe we as a whole (the sports and non sports hobby) need more intensive focus on printing techniques and distribution issues. Someone or a couple of people that are familiar with the early print processes and also have a dedication to cards need to help in synthesising some of the information out there. If we can gather up all the little pieces I'm convinced it will shed some new light on some of the many questions still unanswered about early issues.

(edited to add a big TY to David R. - I always appreciate his many additions on these subject areas and others and didn't mean to slight him by suggesting we need "someone" as I wrote above. Besides, I regularly track his record setting # edits per post....