View Single Post
Old 12-11-2017, 11:40 PM
Scott ku.rtis

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubman1941 View Post
I am in the same predicament. When I met my wife I was already big into collecting Cubs cards and they have expanded the last 20 years. She know nothing about sports all at and could care less. She thinks it is all a waste (but her doll collection is fabulous). I also collected anything baseball. When my room overflowed I sent 32 banker boxes of non-Cub stuff to auction. My room is still full but 90% is Cubs the rest Bears and non-Cubs. My son got into collecting high dollar autographs until he got married. My daughter is a Packer fan. One granddaughter is a Brewer fan, one is a Packer fan but her husband is a Viking fan. One grandson is a Red Sox fan. However, none of them collect. I traded, over the years, my non-Cub cards off and now have albums of Packers, Brewers, Vikings and Red Sox for my grandchildren and great grandchildren. I do believe, when the time comes, these will all be tossed. However, having said that, I have and still enjoy, collecting my Cubs stuff and continue to put items in the other albums as I trade. I have stipulated in my will that my stuff be sent to an auction. Some of it is good (1895-1950) and some of it is not so good (1950 up).
I believe as long as I am having fun and enjoy (but it is getting harder) collecting my Cubs I will continue to do so. When I go, as one other poster said, it makes no difference to me what happens as I won't know.
I'm only 38, so if I outlive you, give me a call just before --- I love the Cubs and have been collecting a ton of them outside of my 1933 Goudeys......

But seriously, I had this conversation with my dad yesterday, and I think it would be cool for my kids to just open the safe deposit box and see all the cool cards and know they're worth something. If they get my half of the brain and not my wife's, they'll know what to do by instincts. I trust that.

If they got my wife's side of the brain, well, look for some deeply discounted 1933 Goudey's in about 35 years.