View Single Post
Old 07-24-2014, 07:19 AM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

Quote:
My confusion is what appears to be your level of emotional investment in the outcome of the questions you raise. You have gone beyond a reasonable amount of effort in "getting the message out" to collectors. You have used your knowledge to act in a way that protects you (by not pursuing the rings). While I understand some frustration at not "feeling heard' or possibly not believed as a result of a particular party's (auction house's) lack of action to your information - a "shouting match" seems a bit out of proportion.
I am not sure why you are confused or why you are concerned with my emotional investment and time spent on this matter.

What the heck is in this for me? I don't want to be the self appointed ring expert. Heck, ring collectors know and acknowledge that Scott Welkowsky knows more about rings than anyone I have ever met. TJ Kaye is employed by PSA as their ring expert. I encourage people to speak with them and I encourage the auction houses to do the same.

I'm not sure if you can determine my level of emotional investment in the outcome. Like many ring buyers and some or most collectors at this site, I have been burned in the past by purchasing items that have turned out to be not what they were supposed to be.

So my desire to alert the community stems from helping others avoid the same problems. I have a feeling I am much less "emotionally invested" than you think, meaning I don't let this stuff get to me personally or on an emotional level. I could care less whether I am believed or not believed and I am the first one to admit that auction houses should get 2nd or 3rd opinions on these matters.

Wouldn't deciding what "reasonable amount of effort" is differ from person to person? I keep a database of as many rings as I can, so in situations like this, I can cut and paste some examples of what the rings are supposed to look like.

I won't judge you by the time you spend researching your hobby pursuits and I would appreciate it if you would not judge me by the time I spend. And besides, with the many of thousands of dollars I can spend on one transaction, frankly I should be doing this much research and I'm happy to share it with others.

I can't tell you how many times others have helped me on this board with areas of sports memorabilia I know very little about. So I'm happy to return the favor.

As far as the shouting match goes, the person I dealt with at Heritage was quite annoyed that I was questioning the Superbowl II ring and started the shouting. Being a typical New Yorker, I shouted back. Is that out of proportion, who knows?