View Single Post
Old 08-16-2018, 02:15 PM
Mike Henry
Mi.ke Hen.ry

Default Reprints vs. Counterfeits - Is there a difference?

I apologize if I missed a prior thread on this issue, but I'm wondering, is there a difference between a reprint and a counterfeit?

I recently purchased a 1980-81 Topps Larry Bird/ Magic Johnson / Dr. J card. The listing revealed in the fine print that it was a "reprint" and I missed it. I, however, have always distinguished between a reprint and a counterfeit. In my mind, a reprint is an authorized reprinting or reproduction of an original card. In other words, Topps issues a card and either Topps or an authorized company later decides to reissue the card. I would think a reprint would have some kind of mark identifying itself as a reprint or, at the very least, a printing date that is different from that on the original card. Something distinguishing it from the original issue.

In my example, I would expect a reprint of the Topps card to somewhere say "reprint" or have a date somewhere on the card that is later than 1980. That is not the case with this card which leads me to believe it's a counterfeit, not a reprint.

What are your thoughts? Is it a distinction without a difference?

Always buying and selling everything prewar, ESPECIALLY TY COBB, and also 1950s cards.