Thread: June Pickups
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2018, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
Picked up two Max West Items yesterday. First, a little back story. Max grew up in my home town of Alhambra California, and we both graduated from Alhambra High...ok, ok, he gratduated about 44 years before me. LOL
Anyway, after he retired he opened up a little sporting goods store called Max West's (Ralph Kiner was a co-owner until Max bought him out), which was pretty much the only place to go if you needed sporting goods back in the 60's through mid 70's. Max was almost always there (along with his daughter) and was always willing to give an opinion on what type/weight bat and gloves to buy. I learned a lot from him at an early age, and I've been wanting to collected some things about him for quite a long time. With that in mind, I was quite pleased to find a type 1 photo of Max that was used for his 1941 Play Ball card. At the same time, I came across his original Heilbroner questionnaire card from 1936. I thought the cool thing about that was his listing of his Alhambra address and his High School. Thought this would make a nice shelf display along with a 1940 All Star game ticket (will get that later) in which he hit the game winning homerun off of Red Ruffing.
So, all and all, a good collecting day. Now, if I can only get Alhambra Grad Cheryl Tiegs to return my calls. LOL
Love it Mike! I bought the Johnny Vander Meer Heilbroner card shortly after it was listed. I think these are very cool, BTW....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Johnny Vander Meer Heilbroner card.jpg (77.8 KB, 911 views)