View Single Post
Old 10-11-2017, 03:15 PM
Joe
Joe Lind.way

Here are a few pictures of the carton with the remaining four little indians which I am keeping for my collection. The fifth pack is the example which this thread is discussing. And I let the other five go over the last 8-10 months to long-time acquaintances/friends in our hobby, who I must say have given them very comfortable homes within their collections.

The carton is interesting. As you can see, it once held 50 packs of 10, totaling 500. I am not sure this is something an individual smoker would purchase all for themselves. I mentioned in an earlier comment on this thread how the collection had the feel of a NOS remains of an old general store. This 500 count carton looks more like a retail counter box than a personal carton. I wish the lid to the box was still present. But only the bottom portion remained. I am thinking the lid was the same illustration as each pack, showing the mill and creek. The colors are gorgeous. And I found the perfect acrylic case to fit the box!

On a side note, there may be an important clue on these packs regarding their timeline which was not mentioned in the auction catalog. The Liggett & Myers name is not referenced anywhere on the carton or individual packs. I believe L&M acquired the Old Mill brand from the deregulation of the ATC around late 1911 or early 1912, at the same time as the Piedmont brand. Their conditions are absolutely superb. That combined with the Factory 25 Virginia designation makes all this very cool.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (16.6 KB, 194 views)

Last edited by NYHighlanderFan; 10-11-2017 at 03:18 PM.