View Single Post
Old 06-24-2006, 01:58 PM
Administrator

Default Authentic Grade- good, bad, indifferent

Posted By: Bob

I put this in the other thread before I saw this one, sorry for the duplication.

When I send in a shipment, I also add the addendum that if a card is determined to be ungradeable with a numerical grade to please slab it as "authentic." I also cringe when I do this because I agree with the above posters that it is almost giving the graders an open shot to find something altered or trimmed even if you feel it is not, but I'd rather have it slabbed authentic than returned with a little note saying "evid of trimming." I believe GAI is now slabbing cards as authentic without a prior request if the issue is trimming, at least that has been my experience.
As far as Adam's comment, I agree and disagree in parts: I agree that too much is being lumped in as "authentic" but on the other hand a very nice card which may be barely trimmed or miscut still brings a heck of a lot more on ebay in a slab showing off the eye appeal of the card. I also noticed that more and more sets are being sold in Mastro, lelands and other auctions where 3 or 4 of the cards, all slabbed, are graded as authentic and it doesn't seem to hurt the lot bidding at all. For this reason I believe that eventually the stigma of a card slabbed as "authentic" because of size problems or trimming will become more and more valuable, especially tougher cards from tough series, and the price disparity which exists will shrink quite a bit. Although some "purist" collectors with cash to burn might blanche and be turned off by a, say, E97 Keeler which appears exmt but is authentic because of a very slight trim, this card will continue to become more and more valuable and expensive in years to come.
Just my 2 cents...