View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 09:03 AM
Jason Stricker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
My speculation regarding this card is simply this scenario. The pressman at American Lithographic was printing a run of PIEDMONT backs on pre-printed sheets (of fronts). Subsequently, a job order called for OLD MILL backs. But, the pressman forgot to replace the blue ink in his press with Black ink. And, continued printing the OLD MILL backs with the Blue ink remaining from the prior PIEDMONT press run.
I have a lot of respect for you Ted as your knowledge and experience with T206s will always outweigh mine. However, I must respectively disagree with your statement. This might make sense if there were more than one, but there's only one (unless you count all of the other blue Old Mill reprints).

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
If this scenario explains this Walsh card anomaly, then we should eventually discover a few more cards with Blue OLD MILL backs. Which should provide us more confidence that this Walsh card is real.
Isn't this just an invitation for scam artists to produce more blue Old Mill cards? Won't they produce more now that this card has been graded by a well respected TPG and several prominent collectors have deemed it 'real' - Just a few more to make them more legit and widely accepted by the community? Unfortunately, some collectors will end up paying good money for doctored cards.

A lot of us want to believe this card is real, because we're die hard collectors and fans of T206s. A discovery of this magnitude is exciting and dramatic. But just because we want the card to be real, it won't make it real. Just ask the cousins in Ohio who desperately wanted a certain T206 to be real...