View Single Post
Old 03-11-2022, 08:05 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
Hey Bob,

I get your point. There was actually a very good thread on here which two forum members participated in who work in the tech field and both stated how far away AI is from being able to grade accurately.

In line with what you are saying, it has been my hunch that there is still a great deal of modern getting graded right now which could be influencing how vintage is seen. When you are looking at pack fresh cards all day long and deciding between a 9 and a 10 and then someone sends in a high end 58 Topps card it might be a 6 comparatively.
Hey Chase,

I read those threads as well, and agreed with the authors that AI for actually grading cards was far, far off, if it even ever became a reality. They need so many examples of each individual card to be looked at so they can fine tune the AI before letting it start operating on its own. And for a lot of vintage (especially pre-war) sets, there aren't anywhere near enough known examples of each card in many of them to ever begin to get the AI properly fine tuned so it could accurately function on its own. Which means the human element is still the most important part of the grading process, and likely always will be.

And I concur with your thinking that all the perfect modern cards are possibly getting used as the standard for grading everything else nowadays. But by doing that, the TPGs have effectively changed the way they used to grade most all vintage cards.

So if TPGs took and listened to hobby complaints about them not being standardized and consistent, and that is why they now seem to base their grading standards off today's mostly perfect modern cards, I think they've misunderstood and misinterpreted what most hobbyists meant and really wanted. A card set/issue you started grading 20-30 years ago to be graded the exact same way today as it was back then, regardless of how you now may be grading modern cards. People want to be able to look at a card's Pop Report and know that all the ones graded NM7, are all actually 7s by today's grading standards. They don't want to be guessing how many 7s are actually still 7s, and how many 7s originally graded 20-30 years ago would be something other than a NM7 if re-graded today. That is more the idea of standardized consistency I think most people are looking for.

Last edited by BobC; 03-11-2022 at 11:14 PM.