View Single Post
Old 02-18-2016, 06:55 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Set the automatic decline at your minimum and you never even see the low offers.

I don't post an item with best offer unless I am willing to drop at least 10% from the price. That's about the fair threshold. So I don't think the OP was out of line with a floor of 90% of BIN.

I know there is some scoffing at small dollar haggling but It does add up. If I am working a set and I can knock off 10% of every card that could be like getting 70 cards for free. As a seller if I can eke out an extra 10% on every card from buyers who will buy a BIN at 90% if I set the floor there instead of lower I can pay for my National trip with the extra 10%.

Sometimes it makes sense to offer a very low % of BIN. Recently I saw a card listed at $1000 that might fetch $200 in auction. I offered $200 for it. Declined of course. I will now watch the card relist forever. One well known dealer has a card I watched for years. Tough card but not 1/1 and way overpriced as compared to similar items at auction. I offered a fair price and was rejected. A few years ago one surfaced at auction and I got it for about my offer. dealer still has the other card. I was the market and I'm out. So long as it is priced where he wants it the card will never sell. Has to be about seven or eight years since I offered on it.

I don't understand the business model of holding inventory for years but to each his own.

ETA: This thread is an example of the damage Mastro and Allen did. I am convinced that some of the prices we see on eBay are the spawn of shill bidding setting unrealistic price expectations.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 02-18-2016 at 07:09 AM.