View Single Post
Old 01-03-2007, 04:24 PM
Administrator

Default Any 1920's set collectors out there?

Posted By: Rhett Yeakley

Frank et al,
The W575-1, W501, Koesters Question is one of the most misunderstood things in the entire hobby. First off, the W575-1's--There are actually 2 different sets that people are calling W575-1, just as Frank stated--there are cards that are essentially blank backed E121 cards, which have the same quality printing as E121 and on the same quality paper, this group includes within it the Henry Johnson and Keating Candy Co. cards, as they are simply W575-1's with a stamp applied to the back. Then, there is a second set which people call W575-1 (which would be better called W501 type II), which was produced with very grainy photos, and on really cheap paper (actually the same paper as W501)--one can really see the difference very well when comparing the two. Those that are in the second category share their entire checklist with the W501 set. While I don't simply think the second types are W501's without number and G-4-22, they were a different set--they just shouldn't be categorized with the W575-1's that are blank back E121. Also, not all W575-1's (type 1's) have the specific outfield position, I have seen those with O.F. on the front, I recently had a Johnny Mostil with O.F. designation that was a W575-1 (type 1-blank back E121).

The Koesters set is hard to understand. There was recently a newspaper ad that advertised 40 different cards in the set, yet there are more than that in the books listed, I have never seen the album (don't know how many spaces there are). Then the Un-cut sheet that Lipset had only had 35 players on it (19 yanks, 16 giants), which also didn't have all outfielders listed as Outf. I still believe until someone can prove otherwise that there are players included in the Koesters set that were not issued as W575-1's but unless you have a player like that or who had their position designated differently--there is no way to tell whether you have a W575-1 or a Koesters. An example would be with a player such as Fred Toney (P.-Giants), if you have a card of him it would be impossible to tell whether a W575-1 or a Koesters. However, if you had Jesse Burkett or Alex Ferguson than I think you probbably have a Koesters.
-Rhett