Thread: Card scarcity
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2005, 11:02 AM
Administrator

Default Card scarcity

Posted By: john/z28jd

I think another problem with disclosing some of the rare old judge cards is that the set is so big and difficult to collect in its entirety that some of the harder to find cards are meaningless to some people.The only reason some people would want them then is to make money off selling them where as theres legitimate collectors who want the card as part of a collection.

Nobody is going to want a Joe Schmo Des Moines card unless they a) collect Des Moines cards or b) collect the set... and if they are doing either then theres a good chance they will find out soon enough its a tough card when they cant find it.

It brings up a good point that alot of knowledgable collectors here stress and that is,know what you collect before you collect it and the same could be said for sellers.Before i buy anything i make sure i know what im buying and i wouldnt find a card,have no idea what it is and then sell it to the first person who offers to buy it.Id find out what i had first.

If your main concern is people will look at a price guide,see some card is a common which really isnt,then sell it for that amount,doesnt that make the price guide at fault for giving a price that isnt right? Its just a guide,its not set in stone,but if they dont know a price why then do they give the price? what are they basing it on?

I would say that the scd is probably close to right on 95% of old judge prices but there are cards im sure they are no where near on.The flipside to that is if you get a rare card cheap,the only way you will be able to sell it for more is to another person who knows exactly what you know because no one will pay 10x value for a card if they go by price guides only.Basically its like school in that people who do their homework get rewarded