View Single Post
Old 07-15-2006, 01:06 PM
Administrator

Default The commonness of rare cards is less perplexing than the rarity of common ones

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

Perhaps I have an immature viewpoint on a collection. And, of course, there are different types of collections. But my intention in citing a potential collection of rare cards was one which would not be sold during the collector's lifetime. Otherwise, I view the collection as a temporary repository of rare items awaiting the offer which can not be refused, or perhaps solely a dealer's collection which was always intended to be broken up for sale.

Perhaps an example of this would be Mr. Newcomb's assembly of R314Ds. He appears to be continuing to attempt to assemble the entire set. I do not know his plans for the set, but he has been at it for quite some time. I do not imagine that a labor of love like this is easy to part with. And I guess that I believe that parting with it is not likely in his short term plans anyway.

I look at the thread "What do you regret selling" and I wonder, then I conclude that these desireable cards were never intended as keepers. And the thread really is "What investment choices do you wish you could make over". I have plenty of those, but none involving cards.

If any of the above is understandable, please consider it unintentional.