View Single Post
Old 12-03-2016, 02:42 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat R View Post
Hi Steve,

I think Ted misinterpreted what I said. I certainly think it's important how they were printed I was referring to where they were printed.

In a few days it will be four years since you started the PD150 plate scratch thread. I have been tracking them through ebay and most of the
auction houses since then and I can say without a doubt that so far the E90-1's are showing up at a higher %.

If you look at past sales on cardtarget many of the E90-1's have sales with back scans in the single digits for a subject. On the other
hand the majority of PD150 subjects have over 100 sales with back scans.

I'm not sure if it has been established which company in Philadelphia printed the E90-1's but if it was George Harris and sons
which I believe was the largest lithographic printer there at the time they were owned by American Lithograph.
I've just been looking for info on George Harris and sons, and not finding much. I'm wondering if they were in any way related to the Harris automatic press company that made the first commercially successful rotary offset presses?
Some of that companies records are in the Smithsonian, and accessible to researchers. http://sirismm.si.edu/EADpdfs/NMAH.AC.0928.pdf

I did find an interesting bit. Harris company did make 2 color presses at least as early as 1908. I've suspected for some time that at least T206s if not other cards were produced on 2 color presses. https://books.google.com/books?id=C7...ompany&f=false Page 902 if the link doesn't go directly.

It's interesting that the E90 scratches are more common than T206 scratches, but not too surprising now that I think on it a bit. Shorter overall press run, and for P150 probably some previous fairly large press runs, so if the scratches happened mid run, they should be a bit more common in comparison.

It's very interesting to me if ALC owned Harris. But the reason is a bit far afield for this thread.

Steve B