View Single Post
Old 01-10-2015, 12:58 PM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
I know how everyone was crowing about Bumgarner last year, but it was not the best post-season ever by a pitcher.
Agreed. Koufax in '65 against my beloved Twins was better. 2 complete game shutouts, the second on the same short rest as Madison, 29 Ks in 24 innings back when hitters were ashamed to strike out, and one earned run in those 24 innings. Might have won game 2 also, had Alston PH someone other than Don Drysdale for him in the 7th with men on 2nd and 3rd and one out, although the BP got blown up thereafter.

These things are fun and of course debatable, but I really don't see how you can leave out Mantle. The guy was always clutch, even or especially on the biggest stages. Great against the ordinary and the extraordinary. I'd also be hard-pressed to leave out Reggie, who seemed to adore and thrive in pressure.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 01-10-2015 at 01:03 PM.