View Single Post
Old 01-09-2015, 04:46 PM
Luis

Default O/T Life or Death, One Game, My Starting 9

I was thinking who I would start if my life depended on one game. Some of my picks are obvious, but others are based on one game heroics we have seen or read about through the years. Tough to pick if this was truly a life or death game. I would be twisting with each pitch so all I could do would be to trust the following team:

In batting order and position. Outfield set like an all-start team.

1. Ty Cobb, lf, played like his life depended on it. Speed on the bases at once. Intimidation, and maybe takes out one of the key opponents.

2. Derek Jeter, ss, moves runners over, just wins, and anyone who would dive into the stands for one out is on my team, it could be the last out?

3. Babe Ruth, rf, gotta have THE man. Maybe he has a three home run game? Good for at least one shot in the clutch. I gotta keep him from partying the night before though!

4. Lou Gehrig, 1b, he obviously showed up every day to excel. And he did! I know I could count on him.

5. Willie Mays, cf, that over the head catch could be a life saver, not just a game saver. Power, steals, he could do it all.

6. Mike Schmidt, 3b, great defender and power. Tough pick leaving out George Brett. I couldn't go wrong either way.

7. Johnny Bench, threw out 43% of attempted steals, great power, best defensive catcher.

8. Eddie Collins, 2b, gets on base, speed, helps turn the line up over. A winner.

9. Bob Gibson, based on one game, he has to be my starter. Just the total will and desire to win. He would leave it ALL on the line like his life depended on it.

RP, Mariano Rivera, the greatest closer of all time.

Manager, John McGraw, he would pull no punches. He would probably fight me to start Christy Mathewson though.

All that WAR stuff may say different based on career totals, but if this was just for one game, I would take these guys......and live! Lol.