View Single Post
Old 07-19-2007, 07:59 PM
Administrator

Default Anyone else collect..................

Posted By: Rob Dewolf

Dan,

The only clip I know of that fools people is a white one of Satchel Paige that pictures him with the St. Louis Browns. I'm pretty sure those were produced in the late 1970s, so when they turn up, they have some age to them. Actually, that's not a reproduction but rather a fantasy piece, because even though there are St. Louis Browns pencil clips (Veeck took the idea with him from Cleveland to St. Louis), I don't believe Paige is included.

The only other non-vintage baseball clips I've seen were produced in the 1990s and feaure players like Cobb, Wagner, etc. The "button" part of the clip is slightly smaller than a nickel. They can be found in bright colors like orange, blue, red, etc. But my guess is that anyone with half a brain would recognize these as being non-vintage.

As far as I know, the 1948-52 Indians clips have not been reproduced. I would hope that because they are not -- for the most part -- big-ticket items and the fact that a production process would be pretty involved, it never will be a concern.