View Single Post
Old 06-14-2019, 09:43 AM
Anson

When I was in college, I worked for my favorite, local sports card and memorabilia store. Most of my collection was modern (junk wax era), with the exception of a couple cards my neighbor had given me (a 1969 Mantle and Drysdale). My boss was very knowledgeable about vintage cards and used to show me all of the different HOFers in the lots he bought. Once day, I was checking out one of his most recent purchases and saw this bright orange caramel Cy Young card. It immediately caught my eye and I knew I had to have it. Being a college student, I could hardly feed myself. My boss knew I liked the card and wanted me to have it. So, he put it aside and let me make small payments towards it until I could pay it off (I believe it was $250 or so). That E101 Young ended up starting me down the path of building the E101 set and going all-in on pre-war.

I ended up having to sell my E101s for family reasons, but still really appreciate what that Young meant. It's come up for auction a couple of times (I believe a board member currently has it), but I was never able to get it back. It's an SGC 3 and significantly off-center. But, I still love it.