View Single Post
Old 06-26-2023, 08:29 PM
Jim Caravello

Quote:
Originally Posted by icollectDCsports View Post
Yep. Hockey collectors were photomatching and using that term specifically for a while before GUU existed. For the past 15 or 20 years I'd guess, NHL teams have done a great (depending on how you look at it) job of washing various marks out of their jerseys, and players are issued more jerseys per season, but previously jerseys that would make their way into the hobby would often have a lot of repairs and other identifying marks that would make them particularly photomatchable. Vintage game worn hockey jerseys, particularly those that are "hammered" with lot of visible signs of use, are in great demand.
You are so correct about repairs and other identifying marks that make them easy to photo match….I’d say 95% of my jerseys are either photo matched, fight matched (LOL) or video matched…..lots of recycling back in the day - lots of nameplates not matching the year of issue because of the reuse….just lots of wear, tear, rips, repairs, stitching, stick marks, etc….

Gotta love game worn hockey jerseys….