View Single Post
Old 05-04-2019, 08:46 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Default Vladimir Guerrero Jr. (2019) Topps Living Set #179

I presume most of you know the concept behind Topps' Living Set. Essentially, it's a set that will never be complete. In Topps' own words, from their website:
"What is the “Living Set”? It’s a trading card set that starts with Card #1, but does not have a final card. It’s not tied to any specific season or era... but lives on year after year. It’s the first cross-generational product that can be collected and traded for years to come.

As part of the Living Set program, Topps will only issue one card per player unless that player changes teams. Three new players will be offered every week and will be available for purchase for just one week.

This exciting, groundbreaking set is modeled after the historic 1953 Topps Baseball design, the first hand-painted set. The set is still one of the most beloved among baseball fans even decades after its release, as it features compelling imagery from some of baseball’s all-time greats."
One of the cards currently available is Vladimir Guerrero Jr., who recently made his Major League Debut. Topps has issued MLB cards of players who at the time had yet to make their Major League Debut in the past - one notable example is Carl Yastrzemski, whose rookie card is in the 1960 Topps set but did not play his first game in the bigs until 1961. So, in and of itself, the fact that Guerrero got a card so soon after his first game is not a big deal.

But I found the back of Guerrero's Living Set card hilarious. Since the 1953 Topps design had career stats, so do the Living Set cards. And in the case of Guerrero's... well, before I tell you what I found so wild about it, you take a look.

Did you see it? The card notes that he made his ML Debut 4/26/19, and his lifetime stats are as of 4/29/19. Lifetime stats: 3 games, 12 at bats. That's what I found so crazy. Particularly since this will be his only Topps Living Set card as long as he's with Toronto.

Up to and including the games of 5/3/19, he's played 6 games and had 23 at-bats. And, of course, by the time the card actually arrives in buyers' hands, those numbers will be even higher.

The Guerrero card is still available from Topps. It went on sale 5/1/19 and will be on sale until midnight EST 5/8/19, if I've calculated the time remaining correctly. The link to order the card, where you'll also find a countdown clock letting you know how much time is left until the card is removed from sale, is here.

(Disclaimer: I do not work for Topps and have no relationship with them. Since the card is still available as of this writing, those of you who might be inclined to get this card might want to know how to get it.)