View Single Post
Old 04-29-2016, 09:13 PM
David Kathman

Default Two hobby obituaries by Lionel Carter, 1974-76

I've recently posted several accounts of early sports collecting conventions by Lionel Carter, whose writing (I think most of you will agree) was always entertaining, with lots of details that make you feel like you were there with him. Another thing Carter did well was write obituaries of his fellow old-time collectors, more and more of whom shuffled off this mortal coil as the years went by. Here are two such obituaries by Carter from the 1970s; neither of these collectors was well known outside the small fraternity of serious old-time collectors, but Carter's writing brings them to life, and I'm grateful for his accounts of their lives, and for the hobby history that's intertwined with their stories. The first of these obituaries, for Howard Leheup, appeared in the April 1976 Ballcard Collector (#121). The second one, for M. H. "Jake" Wise, was in the March-April 1974 Sport Fan, and tells a rather sad story. The article by Wise that Carter refers to in the third paragraph of the first page was in The Ballcard Collector #52 (September 1970), and I've added a scan of that at the end.