View Single Post
Old 08-22-2006, 11:14 AM
Administrator

Default Autograph Authentication issues...happy to be back posting :-)

Posted By: Bob S

Thanks for all the great advice, stories, comments, etc.

And David, DJ and King, I will likely take your advice and submit my items to one of the big houses (any preferences from anyone as to the easiest to deal with?).

The reason I ask this is that my illness has produced a type of general anxiety, that has made it difficult to make decisions and take action on anything, and then worry in an extreme way, constantly about all aspects involved.

And since I've never dealt with any of the major houses, and don't know anyone personally at any of them, I'm quite nervous.

I apologize for mentioning this, but I thought maybe someone, if they have a lot of experience in this area, could, at their convenience, email me with any tips or suggestions as to the best way to handle this.

Again, it's a bit embarrassing, but Lyme can be a strange illness.

David and edacra, I think you folks asked where I obtained my items.

They came from many sources, during the mid to late 90's, including from our member Richard S. Most were from highly reputable dealers, and have COA's, but I'm not sure as to the current "acceptability" of these particular issuers.

I am beginning this week an organization process of all my hobby collection, and I will post the sources of the COA's as I locate them.

As an aside comment, I have recently sold off some cards (mostly t-206's and some '33 Goudey's and '40 Playballs to a very nice dealer from North Carolina, but I have come to realize that I should have had these graded because of all the "fraud" in the vintage market. I sold 3 206 commons for $40 ea., which I think in retrospect would have made SGC 40's. Not a big deal but I can't afford to be careless.

My worst sale was a very nice '54T Teddy #1, which had nice centering and corners, but which the buyer said had a slight "bend"....no wrinkle, no crease), for $100. It was very hot at the show, and I was so nervous I was shaking.

And, yes, in the late spring, I did some eBay consignment with, again, some nice folks locally, only to get poor results on the vintage stuff (raw, naturally). I feel like Homer Simpson. It's almost comical, but I decided to go locally, rather than ship them to Scott G., one of our members)who had the same consignment fee (20%), because of my fear (there's that word again), about shipping the cards to Mass. To anticipate a possible question, yes, I am taking an anti anxiety prescription (tried several, in fact), but, this d**** Lyme seems to somehow block or at least mute their effectiveness.

I want to say how thankful I am to all of you who have taken time to reply to my question, and to say I'm sorry for rambling on about these trivial details. My hobby stuff will likely be my only source of income until I reach 66 (I'm 58 now, and getting SSI disability for Lyme is nearly impossible), and I guess that contributes to my nervousness.

In my collecting days, when I had a career, I never gave much thought to the circumstances surrounding being forced to liquidate my "little treasures", and now that I must do so, it brings no joy to my heart.

Thanks, again, everyone.

Bob

returnaddress