View Single Post
Old 11-19-2016, 02:54 PM
David Peck

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
Any story on where the card came from or was found? It does look pack fresh, those borders look snow white.

Going to have to look into the 9 copy that sold for 3.4 mil. I don't recall hearing about that one?

More than likely the case, and I agree with your "Is certainly good for the hobby" opinion.

It was a raw copy that Heritage brought to the National to get graded is what I was told. They were trying to get 1.3 or 1.5 million for it. The collector said they drove it there something like 11 hours. Not sure of the origin but as you can see from the scan it is a pack fresh looking example.

I am not certain if the person who bought the Mantle wants to be outed so I am not going to be the one to due so. That said I have seen a picture of the card and it is spectacular.

There were rumblings on this board about a sale over 3 million months ago and after speaking to a few people I believe there have been two.

On the CU board five years ago I stated I thought a 10 would easily bring 3 million. To the right buyer I bet that number is north of 10 and it wouldn't necessarily end up in a baseball card collectors hands. My thesis has always been a hedge fund manager or private equity guy who wants to showcase it on display in their Manhattan penthouse in a glass case. Talk about a conversation piece. One of only three cards to ever achieve the top grade of the most famous baseball card of the past sixty five years.

Last edited by Dpeck100; 11-19-2016 at 02:55 PM.