View Single Post
Old 11-26-2013, 10:10 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pariah1107 View Post
Not to exonerate the convicted party here, but it seems this fraudster was buying trinkets on ebay, then reselling them on ebay after engraving Chihuly's sig & forging certs.... isn't there some culpability on the part of ebay? Ebay allowed this to go on for more than a year after being notified of the fraud by Chihuly studios.

For example, the article indicates he sold some of his forgeries through a Renton auction house. What if he bought the items at the Renton auction house, then engraved them, and resold them at the same auction house. I think any reasonable person would say that is beyond unethical, and borders on criminal activity on the part of the auction house as well as the forger.
A story worth mentioning due to some relevance to the above:

I reported this to LE but nothing happened:

A few years ago a blank Babe Ruth Foundation check appeared on ebay.
It was bought by someone I knew and who was a probable forger.
A month later, guess what, the check appeared on ebay again, only this time it was filled out and of course had a forged Babe Ruth signature on it. (the check number was identical to the blank one that had appeared one month earlier). I had printed copies of the blank and the newly filled out check.
This one piece was only the tip of the iceberg for this person and I told LE that. But nothing happened in this instance.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow