Default coincidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarltonHendricks View Post
 photo side 1_zps7r7xdd6y.jpg
c1900 Euro tin, 12 inch tall

photo 20160613_154146_resized_zpsezcmdbxy.jpg

photo side 2_zps5nhheomv.jpg

photo 20160613_154122_resized_zpsdp18vce8.jpg

Went down south to the Rose Bowl Flea this past weekend...Barely even saw anything interesting...much less to buy...However I did run around to some antiques malls in L.A....Santa Monica, Pasadena, Hermosa Beach, Sherman Oaks...all nothing...But in a store in Pasadena a gal had a small collection of about ten European tins...and I spotted this c1900 12" tall mountaineering one...Mountaineering stuff is hard to find...but what a sport!!!...man against mountain....Now if I can just find some great tobogganing or dog sled race piece!

http://www.bamfords-auctions.co.uk/b...ectionery-tin/
I found another example on line, below...and as you can see originally it had a lid...The auction in which this better condition one sold...listed it as a Fryer's tin...I couldn't find any reference to Fryer's but did find a "Fryers" candy company in Nelson, Lancashire England that likely produced this tin....

photo Better Condition_zps0bvsdcej.jpg

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk...true_pioneers/
Fryer and Co (Nelson) Ltd, Victory V Factories, had its origins way back in 1830 when Nelson man Thomas Fryer met a travelling confectioner over a pint of beer and they decided to open a small shop in the town making peppermints and lozenges.

Eventually Fryer built a factory but when he ran out of cash 20 years later, Dr Edward Smith bought the business for £1,000 and ran it with his brother William Their formula for combining ether, liquorice and chloroform – it took five to seven days for the whole process – to produce Victory V Lozenges was still being used in 1959.

William took full control of the company in 1864 and it became a private company in 1906.

When he retired two years later, Jack became manager.

Down the years, the company had many notable firsts – it was the first to make jelly babies, slab toffee and decorated tins as sweet packaging.
 photo Bobsled Lineup 2_zpsmarfj7vw.jpg
c1915 BOBSLED/TOBOGGAN STATUE, 5 1/2" LONG, SPELTER CAST
No markings, likely Austrian

About a month ago I posted a mountaineering tin I got...and in jest I said "....Now if I can just find some great tobogganing or dog sled race piece!"...That was some coincidence...a few days later a bronze dealer emailed me an offer for the tobogganing statue above...Yesterday I drove into San Francisco to see it in person and you guessed it...it came home with me...Rare subject matter!

photo Bobsled on mustang 1_zpsoel16sqa.jpg
On back of mustang right after I got it