View Single Post
Old 08-24-2007, 08:57 PM
Administrator

Default T206 checklist revisited

Posted By: Scot Reader

Barry A.,

Let me first say that I have always appreciated your uniformly positive and thought-provoking posts. You are truly a gentleman and a scholar.

I just wanted to add a few thoughts on why design and printing variations are treated differently. When you think about it, every T206 that rolled off the press almost a century ago was different--for example, in ink tones. The differences range from the almost undetectable to the easily noticed--but they are always there. Our discussion of Ritchey (No Dove) an Ritchey (Dove) a while back is illuminating. The differences in the dove-like cloud in the sky are so easily noticed that at first blush one is fooled into thinking it was the product of a conscious effort; however, after one looks at dozens of examples it becomes apparent that the differences are within manufacturing tolerances. Hence, we do not need to a Ritchey A and a Ritchey B in the Standard Catalog. On the other hand, someone at ATC clearly had a hand in deciding, albeit erroneously, that Sherry Magee spelled his name with an "i" and that Joe Doyle was actually Larry and played for the National League club. It is these uniquely human mistakes that we celebrate.

Scot