View Single Post
Old 11-23-2004, 09:43 PM
Administrator

Default 1914 Cracker Jack set

Posted By: John

First of all Scott you missed my point. I was not comparing Cracker Jacks to T206’s I was making a point about ultra high prices being paid for cards in Mint cond. With those same cards being sold later for less or the same price with little or no increase in value and as of late, major losses in value compared to the original purchase price. I used the Harris auction as an example.

“AGAIN, we are not talking about plentiful tobacco cards here”

It would be safe to say that most all really high-grade cards are tough to find. I also don’t remember mint T206’s growing on trees. But that also has very little to do with it. There are many high-grade cards that are somewhat more plentiful than even T206’s that reach huge prices (1952 Topps, 1933 Goudeys etc.). My point was I don’t think this guy got such a great deal as some of you are making it out to be. Why would a company like Mastronet sell an item for 800k that could so easily as you say fetch $1,500,000 to 2,000,000 million dollars?

I’m not arguing the importance and rarity of the cards that is truly amazing, what I am pointing out is I don’t think the new owner walked away from this deal with Mastronet with the upper hand. I would guess both parties involved were very happy the owner with an amazing set and Mastronet having made a nice chunk off the deal.