View Single Post
Old 09-05-2021, 05:14 PM
Tony Gordon

I am one of those National dealers that says "no" as soon as you ask me for a trade. With booth fee, employees, hotel, food, and gas, I'm deep in the hole long before the show even starts. I don't need cards to sell on eBay or shows down the line, I have a huge inventory. If it is a post-war card, I always have five to 10 of these cards anyone offers to trade. I need cash to cover my expenses. I need cash at the end of the show to determine whether it was a successful show and whether it was worth my time. I also need cash for all the deals I have lined up after the show.

In addition, in my 40 years of setting up at shows I can only recall maybe two occasions where the trade was worth my while. Usually someone will offer me four or five 1963 or 1964 Topps baseball league leaders cards in exchange for my 1963 Mantle. I mean, nine times out of 10, it is just a horrible offer.

I just don't bother any more, especially at the National, where I will probably lose a paying customer while wasting my time with someone offering a trade. You've got just a short time to catch the attention of the paying customer who will move on to the next table if you're too busy or seemingly ignoring them.

On the rare occasions I do engage in a trade, I have to consider the amount of money I have into the card and how much money I foresee earning on the eventual sale of the new card I obtain in the trade. It just rarely, if ever, works out in my favor.

Here is my advice for someone who believes they are offering something really good for trade: don't ask the dealer if he trades. The word "trade" is a red flag for dealers. Instead, show the dealer the card before saying anything and ask him if he is interested. If you have something good, not league leader cards, then the dealer will work something out with you.