View Single Post
Old 11-13-2017, 07:21 AM
St3v3 C0me@u

Default 'Altered' vs 'Authentic' - confused

This stems from a PSA submission of a '54 Kaline that came back as simply 'Altered'. I can't see anything! I got no insight from PSA as to why. It has a flip stuck to a 'CardSaver' and has a Cert#, but it is "not in their database". It's not an update lag as it was months ago.

Anyway, I googled to learn the technical difference between 'Altered' and 'Authentic' only to find little good info. I have 'Authentic' grades that I assume are either trimmed, torn, skinned, or otherwise mistreated. But I can't find real detail on the difference between altered, authentic and 'altered authentic'.

It seems that 'Altered' leans more toward restoration attempts, but then why doesn't 'trimmed' also get that grade? I got the sense that there is no question regarding authenticity as it wasn't described as counterfeit. So, why won't they encapsulate?

I guess I'd also like to know how it would affect valuation! Since it can't be encapsulated, does it become worthless?

I will call PSA to see what they say, but I thought you might help clear the fog and provide some advice.

Thanks.

Last edited by scomeau; 11-13-2017 at 07:23 AM.