View Single Post
Old 05-04-2012, 09:10 PM
T0dd M@rcum

I have a lot of cards that have value. But I guess the holy grail is my T206 Honus Wagner.

About 30 years ago I met an old collector who had a small box of T206s he had gotten as a kid. We looked though his collection and he enjoyed talking to me about the old days when men would come out of the duckpin bowling alleys in Roanoke (which were on the second floor) and would throw their empty packs in the gutters and the boys would scramble after him. He said even in those days he had heard of Honus Wagner but none of the boys had ever seen one. One day, this guy had found a picture of Honus Wagner in a magazine, pasted it on a cigarette card back and traded it to one of his buddies for a bunch of cards he needed.

Fast forward about 15 years, I consigned a collection out of a neighboring town about 50 miles away from a guy whose grandfather had passed them along to him. Among the cards was this card....I wonder and suspect it may have been the same card that the old man had made eight decades before and it had changed hands from farmboy to farm boy and made its way from Western Virginia to Central Virginia.

Although it is unlikely I will ever own a real T206 Wagner, I am proud for this one to stand in (but I don't count it toward my monster number).