View Single Post
Old 10-02-2021, 06:01 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default T206 REFERENCE.....interesting similarities between T206 Doyle Nat'L and T207 Hoff

* * * * * * * * * * * * * T206 Reference, Theory's, Surveys, etc. * * * * * * * * * * * *

...... Piedmont ...... Sweet Caporal ..... Polar Bear_____The "House" that created these Tobacco cards_____Sovereign ........... Hindu ........ American Beauty

OK guys....we are switching this "train" back onto the main track. Let's hear and see some more stuff regarding Joe Doyle and/or Chet Hoff....cards, stories, etc.

They started pitching for the NY Highlanders. Both 5' 9" and both had short ML careers (approx. 5-years). Doyle a right-handed pitcher. Hoff a Southpaw pitcher.
Here's their major difference....Joe Doyle lived to age 66. Chet Hoff lived to the grand old age of 107.

Regarding their BB cards......
The Joe Doyle Nat'L is the scarcest T206 subject in this 524-subject card set, with only 9 of them (or perhaps 10) that are known, as of this date.
The Chet Hoff's card is by no means a rare card; however, it is one of the tougher cards to find in the T207 set.

Your stories and/or your questions are very appreciated.

----

I will continue their stories with these two very similar events with Doyle and Hoff when their Major League careers started......

August 1906, Doyle in his rookie start hurled a six-hit shutout vs Lajoie's Cleveland Naps at the Highlander's Hilltop Park. Doyle's variety of pitches bewildered the Naps,
including striking-out Lajoie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
Chet Hoff Hoff made his big league debut in September 1911, the Highlanders were playing at Hilltop Park in the Washington Heights section of Manhattan. In his second major
league game, Hoff, a 20-year-old left-hander fresh off the Westchester County sandlots was summoned in relief against the Detroit Tigers. Chet recalled it 80 years later....."the
batter fouled off two -- the first two strikes were fastballs. The 3rd strike I threw him was a fast curve. It was a perfect strike over the plate and he looked at it. But at that time
I didn't know who he was, no more than the man in the moon, until the next morning I picked up The New York Journal. The big red headlines in the paper says Hoff Strikes Out
Ty Cobb. I couldn't believe it at first. It was the biggest thrill of my Baseball career."

TED Z

T206 REFERENCE....convenient access to T206 checklists