View Single Post
Old 04-10-2022, 04:01 PM
Drew W@i$e

Default Catch 22 of card grading - is it worth the gamble?

Before my post, I do have some graded cards and don’t begrudge collectors who grade cards. I just want to give a recent observation on grading cards and the process of grading.

At a recent card show, I met a dealer who had a large assortment of graded cards for sale. During conversations, the dealer said recently received a 500 vintage card submission back from a grading company. He said 250 of the cards were in his showcase. I asked where were the other 250 cards? He said at home because he was in a catch 22 in regards to the cards.

He believed the 250 card lot at home were either undergraded or came back as altered. He said he knew the cards were not altered. He believed he had two options.

1. Sell the slabbed (and unslabbed) as is and take a perceived loss because of the current grades.
2. Resubmit the cards back to either the first grading company or another grading company and hope for higher grades.

He said he would have think about what he would do. I wished him the best.

The conversation struck a chord with me. I couldn’t imagine trying to regrade these 250 cards, but is that commonplace? Is the first thought “if I don’t get the grade I want, I will resubmit”? To me, that is too big a gamble to take, especially with grading cost and turnaround times.