View Single Post
Old 01-24-2024, 11:07 PM
Mikeknapp

When my son was in high school the rival school’s baseball team had a tall slender pitcher who threw side armed almost submarine style. He looked awkward. He reminded me of a large bird trying to take flight with a broken wing. If his fastball broke 75mph I’d be shocked. My son loved to face him. When he stepped in to face this pitcher he transformed. He was no longer the timid hitter that frustrated his coaches. He couldn’t wait to get in the box. He owned that pitcher and as he said, “I get fat off that guy”. I was impressed with the kids tenacity. Although he could throw harder with a more conventional approach he stuck to his quirky unorthodox style through high school. I lost track of him after graduation. Ten years later my father and I were at Spring Training watching the Mariners and Padres at the Peoria Sports Complex. In the sixth inning the regulars departed and a tall lanky pitcher with a quirky submarine delivery took the mound for the Padres. I looked at my dad and said he reminded me of kid my son, “Got fat off of”. We were both shocked when we looked at the scoreboard an d discovered it was that kid. We were both speechless and quite impressed. My kid is a lawyer now and Adam Cimber is still playing although at a slightly higher level than any of us thought possible.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5094.jpg (49.5 KB, 173 views)

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

1971 Pirates Game used bats Collection 18/18 (100%)