View Single Post
Old 02-28-2014, 03:48 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I'm generally not in favor of banning the sale of items (that's not an absolute rule, and I'm sure I could think of exceptions). I do think things must be accurately described so the buyer understands what is being purchased (I don't accept the usual eBay scammer's "Technically, I didn't lie. I never said it was a card" lines. You can lie via omission, such as omitting the fact that you yourself cut the picture out of a magazine). However, while I'm not for banning things and am not for telling people what they should or should not collect, I would support rules about in which categories they can be sold. As has already been mentioned, there can be the rule that they can't be sold in the card sections. If someone put an autographed baseball in the Post-War card section, Leon might move it to the autographs collection and there would be no complaints.

My problem is collectors often want to ban things based on sentiment or prevailing taste. That someone says Spalding Guide cutouts should be banned but not cutout Harper's Woodcuts is a demonstration of this. Their distinction between the two is sentimental. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with sentiment, and I perceive and value Harper's Woodcuts differently than Spalding Guide cutouts, but the topic here is about banning the sale of.

Last edited by drcy; 02-28-2014 at 04:10 PM.