View Single Post
Old 06-04-2018, 11:53 AM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcarfagno View Post
Indeed. Just in his own era he would rank 6th I would say. That wouldn't include Ruth or Gehrig or Anson or Kelly or Delahanty.

I would say Matty is borderline top 10 for most collected pre-WW2 players. Which to me doesn't really do him or his stature enough justice. I doon't know if it has to do with his SABRmetric stats, but if it did, GC Alexander would be more collected and he is not. So I'm not quite sure what the deal is with Matty.
Agree, it doesn’t do him justice, and seems odd. He’s got a lot going for him— played the bulk of his career in NY as the highest profile pitcher of the era, WS hero, perfect image/reputation, and the absolute perfect look. Maybe it’s partly influenced by the fact that the Giants moved to SF? As an SF Giants fan, I’ve always collected the old NYGs, but perhaps others do not? NY collectors have the Yankees, and then of the teams that moved, I’ve gotta think the Dodgers are more collected than the Giants. I feel Philadelphia A’s like Collins, Grove, Foxx, Cochrane, Simmons also get short changed, perhaps in part because there is no longer any real direct tie with that team.

That said, as a Matty collector, I like that he has so many nice looking and attainable cards. No way I’d have as many as I do if they were in a higher price tier, or if he were included in fewer mainstream sets like Alexander.