View Single Post
Old 02-15-2008, 04:02 PM
Administrator

Default I want a deadball era video game!!!

Posted By: Rob Ray

Around 10 or more years ago,there was a PC game called "Tony Larussa Baseball" One of its features (for the 1996 version,if I remember)was the hundreds of old-time teams you could command. The graphics were good for the time (now it'd be horribly outdated),and I doubt that,uinless you could use DOS,you could still play this game,but I have seen it online. It had the actual rosters,and many photos (some taken from old cards) of the players and even some old (rendered) stadiums! It was a blast,pure and simple.
Nowadays,there is a great game company called APBA (I've been playing the master version of the board game for over 35 years,on and off),...its' PC version (called BBW,or baseball for windows) is an excellent way to replay old seasons. Look them up online (they're in Lancaster,PA). They are incredibly accurate as a sim,and every play that happened then can happen on your PC now. There is also a forum where players discuss this,and they are mostly old-timers like me (45 or older). If you're into boards games,their board game...master version...is the best in the business.
Right now,I've been playing 60 teams (something they call "Great teams of the PAst"...20 teams..AL and NL...per set...3 sets.) I use 3 dice and the large master game booklet,and input stats through excel. Lots of fun. takes about an hour per game.These sets are also available for the PC version.
Check out APBA's website and their forums...its what you're looking for!
Rob Brooklyn, NY