View Single Post
Old 09-20-2023, 12:30 PM

Default New Photographic Collectible Coming Online

The reason for this post is the unveiling of a new baseball photographic collectible. These photographs and their transmitted copies were called “Laserphotos.” These Original Prototype photographs were not included in the catalog where the naming of Type 1 and Type 2, etc. became a standard. I have been saving examples of these Type 1 photos for some 30 years, without any way of presenting them or proving what they are. 

So what are they?

Do you remember the usually crappy wire photos which showed the printed caption next to the image - all on one sheet? They were produced mostly by the Associated Press as WIREPHOTOS and by United Press International as LASERPHOTOS. From each Prototype hundreds of copies were made and sent to newspaper subscribers around North America. (see attachment One) Yet there is only ONE source photo - the Prototype - from which came all the copies sent to newspaper subscribers. Laserphotos were in use from the mid-1940s through the 1990s.

The Prototype photo (usually 8x10) is the original print with the original typed label pasted on it. Most are blank-backed.

Though I knew these photos to be valuable, there was no way to convince others of their importance. I had to PROVE what they are, and this was impossible - until recently. 

After a number of attempts, I convinced PSA to slab these photos for me - and the encapsulations have proved what they are. The label reads Type 1, “ONE of a KIND.” (see attachments TWO and THREE)
Some are in B&W and some are in color.

If anyone is holding photos of this type, keep hold of them. They may soon become a healthy addition to the baseball photo market. 
I will present more on this subject sometime soon. Any information or discussion will be welcome. 

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Laser Photo 1955.jpg (195.2 KB, 599 views)
File Type: jpg Carter Hernandez Slabbed Photo.jpg (193.7 KB, 585 views)
File Type: jpg Alomar Brothe Slabbed Ph609.jpg (198.9 KB, 597 views)