View Single Post
Old 05-01-2016, 05:22 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailes2872 View Post
I am having some remorse. I thought long and hard about the 33 Delong Lionel Carter set. I know that I can get a 33 Delong set in the future, but I doubt I will ever be able to get that set! It went for 5 grand + 1 grand BP. I stopped at 4 grand. It was at $4,750 last night and had been there for a while. It went up only $250. I woke up early this morning for the 1/2 Marathon and the auction hadn't closed yet. I am getting ready to buy a motorcycle this month, so my wife and I agreed that it was an either/or proposition. At breakfast, I thought that I am pretty deep into my 54, 55, and 56 sets with each probably pushing 5-6k with the number of grade 6 & 7 superstars and HOFers. I don't want to sell them, but I knew that I could get them again - but I would not be able to get Carter's Delongs. So, I had a quick conversation with the Mrs about using consignment credit for the sake of making one final push (I would pay up front, but the understanding was that I would consign in the fall and reimburse the account). I would then make whatever set I sold be my next project and start again.

I got the head nod, was getting ready to make one final push as I had gotten final warning. I popped open the computer and it had just closed. Maybe 5250 or 5500 doesn't get it, but I am going to wish I pulled the trigger...
Back in 2004 I had the high bid on a T206 Wagner (Authentic) going to the last day. Two more bids came in, and I couldn't go higher.

I told this story to my current girlfriend. We met in 2005. She always says that if she had been there, she would have helped me, and we couldhave gotten a Wagner.

Except for this: I found out that the winner of that card was Keith Olberrman. I could have made multiple bids, and he still would have beat me. So maybe you would have gotten them with one more bid, and maybe not. Could be someone wanted them much more that you did. Lets hope that you get another chance soon.