View Single Post
Old 10-15-2017, 11:12 AM
Lar.ry Buch.heim

Don't assume the people selling fakes are trying to rip buyers off. Sellers are selling counterfeits to related buyers and having eBay/PayPal refund them under the buyer protection. This way the seller/buyer is able to split the money.

I ran into this with a 1952 Topps Billy Martin. Didn't even realizing the Martin's were being counterfeited until I received it. So I opened the normal buyer return and immediately received a reply from the seller.

seller: My PayPal account has been suspended so I will have to send a certified check.

Me: I will just go through the normal eBay returns.

Now this seller had positive feedback on quite a few counterfeits so he is defrauding eBay/PayPal.

I received the certified check and cashed it and later received the buyer protection refund, now I have twice the refund. He messaged me asking if I had received two refunds and to return one, which I did not reply. If I would have returned one, the scammer would have had two payments and returned one.

I called eBay to try and return the buyer protection refund and somehow had an English speaking customer service person.

It seems eBay/PayPal really does not care about the fakes being sold because the higher their revenues the higher the can charge for advertising. They have an allowance for fraudulent activity and as long as it's within the quarterly range, they're fine.

I kept the extra payment so I guess I'm a little at fault...but I did try.