View Single Post
Old 12-10-2023, 07:37 AM
Jim Reynolds

Default Are gentleman's agreements a thing of the past, or did I expect too much?

I routinely participate in many live, online auctions. As part of this, I review preview photos to look for items that I want to add to my collection. In a recent sale, I saw a baseball pinback button that I wanted in a box with other pinback buttons.

On the day of the sale, I was unfortunately at work so when I joined the live sale, I told the seller that I only had a moment and I asked if he'd run the button I wanted. He agreed but ran all the buttons as one lot.

Before I could say anything, another buyer jumped in and bought the lot that I asked for. That buyer then messaged me and said that he wanted all the other pinback buttons and not the one I wanted, and we could talk later about selling me the one I wanted when I was no longer at work. Two days later, I messaged him and said to please let me know when they arrived as I really just wanted that one button.

Last night he messaged me and said that now, his brother wants that baseball button and family comes first, so I'm SOL even though we had what I felt was a gentleman's agreement, I feel that it was a shitty move to begin with that he swooped in when I am the one who asked the seller to run the item quickly since I was at work, and then he reneges on his offer to sell.

Was I expecting too much here?