View Single Post
Old 04-15-2016, 04:10 PM
Geordie Calvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipk1068 View Post
I haven't read this thread. Doing so would probably take a couple hours. I have a pretty good idea of what opinions are likely expressed, so I will offer my opinion without reading this thread.

I felt similar to the OP when I was in my 20's. Jackie Robinson is only in the HOF because he is the first black ballplayer. I thought that was ridiculous.

In the last 30 years I have learned a lot and completely changed my opinion. He put up huge HOF worthy numbers in the short period of time he was allowed to play. The intangibles like the way he must have gotten into a pitchers head any time he was on base are immeasurable. I can't imagine any other person would have been able to endure the stuff he had to put up with.

I have learned a lot about base ball history and life in the last 30 years. Jackie Robinson is number 3 on my short list of human beings I admire most. I suspect if the OP continues to be a student of the game's history, in 20 years or so he will rank Jackie Robinson as a top-tier HOFer.
Great post, David. I've done quite a bit of growing up in the past 30 years myself. A great many beliefs I thought were valid then seem pretty silly now.

As I type, I'm listening to a great monologue by Bomani Jones on ESPN. He's hitting many of the same points already brought up here, including how tough it was in his own clubhouse.

OP, did you happen to catch the 2-part documentary that just showed on PBS? If not, do yourself a favor and check it out. I think it might be enlightening. It certainly was to me.