View Single Post
Old 04-21-2014, 11:42 AM
Jason S!m@nds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosox Blair View Post
Good for REA! These "8"s look ridiculous and someone needs to say something. Seems it hasn't stopped bidders from putting thousands of dollars out there for these cards.

Anybody buying 100+ year old cardboard in 8s and 9s has to assume the very high risk that these cards are altered. With few exceptions (1915 CJ, E98 Black Swamp cards) the odds are very good that the cards have been doctored. That is why $0 of my collecting budget goes to this segment of the market.

Cheers,
Blair
I guess I'll have to disagree with this. As the industry-leading auction house, I find it distasteful that they are pushing altered cards onto customers. The note about the card being trimmed is hidden away in between the note "Four razor-sharp corners" and "a very highly graded T206 example". I promise you that half of the bidders did not catch the disclaimer.

If an AH was selling fake autographs with authentication, but they made a similar disclaimer would you praise "Good for them!". Probably not. REA should stop accepting these cards as consignment.