View Single Post
Old 10-31-2014, 03:57 PM
Marvellous Mark

I agree 100%. Celebrate the game and the players! One of baseball's big problems is that they are a prisoner of their own history and purist attitudes. Perhaps the reason football and basketball have soared in popularity (besides the pace of their game in a lightning fast world) is because they promote new stars relentlessly and arent handicapped by a ball and chain to their past. Fill up the Hall of Fame and then add another wing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Counts View Post
I don't buy this stuff about there being too many players in the Hall of Fame. Baseball is constantly changing and so is our perception of its history. Improved statistical analysis has changed the way we look at players. Plus, the Hall of Fame's standards have already been set by the induction of far less talented players like Rabbit Maranville, Bobby Wallace, Travis Jackson and at least a dozen more. Heck, somebody should be elected every year. Seeing well-deserving players like Minnie Minoso and Tony Oliva receiving their plaques at Cooperstown next summer would do wonders for connecting the next generation of baseball fans to the game's history. I'd put most of these guys in, but particularly Minnie. His stats don't begin to show how great a player he was or his many intangibles. He got a late start through no fault of his own, had an OPS higher than Clemente or Yaz, was hit by more pitches than ANYBODY before him, was once the White Sox' all-time home run king, and was so good a defensive player that when they gave out the first-ever Gold Glove awards in 1957, the three outfielders were Mays, Kaline and Minnie — and the runners-up included several other Hall of Famers.