View Single Post
Old 04-18-2014, 07:04 PM
Kev1n @1les

I am a set collector. My standard practice is to buy a set for a good price with some upgrade needs. Most of the time the superstars are less than ideal and I upgrade them in PSA 6 & 7 slabs.

However, I still have a nervous tick from trying to collect '67 card by card. I found while I collected that set that I really didn't mind investing in the superstars - Mantle, Seaver, Carew, etc. The challenge that I had was paying sizable dollars for non-superstar high numbers - Clendenon, Red Sox Team Card, Tommy John, rookie cards of guys that I have never heard of (White Sox, Yankees), yet they would cost pretty serious dollars for the condition that I was looking for.

I have back to '57 with the exception of '61 (still looking for the right set at the right price). As I move to '56-'53 and the sets are 280, 250, 206, and 340 cards - I think that I am going to change my approach. I will look for lots of commons for a few hundred dollars, and then buy the superstars in slabs - versus paying for a set with a low grade superstar and having to upgrade it anyway. The pain will be upgrading the semi-stars and high numbers in between. I am thinking of starting with '54 with this style first as it is all about Banks, Aaron, and Kaline. If I get those, then Mays and the two Williams cards, I can be well on my way just looking for common lots.

I understand you pain, however, and 56 with the 340 cards might be too many to buy card by card - epecially when many commons in any sort of EX type presentable condition start getting expensive - and nothing stinks worse tink sinking a few hundred dollars into cards of guys who you have never heard of.

Best of luck and enjoy the ride.