View Single Post
Old 01-14-2023, 02:27 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmckee View Post
Anyone ever see this Candy box before? Looks like a generic box for a baseball card set.

It states: "This is one in a series of baseball candy and toy packages. Save the entire set"

Now the box seems generic so guessing there had to be a card of some kind inside?

The drawings on back favor some ball players.

Top Middle looks like WaJo Walter Johnson to me

Middle Left looks like Grover Alexander

https://www.ebay.com/itm/19554145899...p2047675.l2557
Saw that also. Figured it was just a generic box with different drawings, that they were calling it a set to possibly help sales. If a card was inside, would think they would have specifically mentioned as such and referred to it as a card set. I think in this case they may have just used different front images on the boxes they made for the different things they sold. And by using generic drawings it didn't cost them anything and make them have to get permission and pay any ballplayer for the use of their image.

The Walter Johnson resemblance is interesting, and I can see how it can be argued it does kind of look a little like some other non-photo images I remember seeing on some strip cards of Johnson, like this one.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1358604...a952664de9a452

But unfortunately I think you're grasping for straws on that point Dan.

As for the box itself, definitely a neat, and exceedingly rare item, but once again, completely generic. Actually, quite a bit surprised at the current high bid. I'm only guessing, but the long story/description included with the listing that ties in the Schapira Co. with Ruth and other cards issued may have had at least a little bit to do with the bidding, and some people then mistakenly thinking it might be something more than it actually is. Personally, because of the very generic nature of the item, I would have thought it worth somewhere in the $50-$75 range, at best. And even that might be a bit of a stretch IMO. Unless there is some candy and/or candy related hobby that I'm totally unaware of that places a high value on something like this.

Last edited by BobC; 01-14-2023 at 02:35 PM.