View Single Post
Old 05-20-2004, 09:35 PM
Administrator

Default Best Deal I Ever Had

Posted By: brian p

Dang! I was in Vegas last weekend. I guess instead of losing money at the craps table I should have been checking out the local crappy card show.

I think it is cool that this older gentleman wanted to reward a fellow collector--when you get to a certain age, what does money mean? This gentleman spotted someone with a passion for the hobby, and gladly was willing to pass along the torch. If the recipient had instead been someone with a greedy glint in his eye, my guess is that he would have not received such a bargain.

I had a similiar experience with an older gentleman who was collecting the 1925 Zeenut set because, as a kid, he had attended PCL games in LA. I had previously helped him obtain one of the few cards he needed to complete the set, and lo and behold, when we met again a couple of years later he offered me any card I wanted from the set at a fraction of its normal price, because he felt it was time to pass along his stash and understood and appreciated the dedication of an obviously dedicated fellow collector. I was able to help out my collection and a couple of other collectors as well.

Brian