View Single Post
Old 10-20-2020, 12:04 PM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

Default 1907-8 Panama Isthmian League

Several years back (maybe as many as 10) a collector on Net54 posted a photo display of the 1907-08 Isthmian League in Panama. I do not recall who it was, nor can I seem to find the original post, but here is the photo of the display I saved:

1908 Panama Canal team Culebra.jpg

I have always been interested in obscure baseball teams, players and leagues, and the Isthmian League certainly fits that bill. I took notes and put it aside until I had time to do some research on the league. I wound up focusing on one player, Eddie Sabrie, and just finished a story about him and the Isthmian League on my website.

Screen Shot 2020-10-20 at 1.36.22 PM.jpg

As the original poster had written, the players on the Culebra (champs of the league) were mostly American minor leaguers from the south. I had a lot of fun following traces of the league in Panamanian newspapers of the day and then finding out all about Eddie Sabrie, Culebra's first baseman and a career minor leaguer. For a guy who never made it to the majors, Sabrie had a pretty interesting career. You can read my story by clicking HERE

Maybe the owner of the photo display is still a member and can tell a bit more about the piece.