View Single Post
Old 01-21-2020, 11:56 AM
Mike Kendall

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
Certain PM-10s are inexplicably common. The Giants were represented by Carl Hubbell, Dick Bartell and Cliff Melton from the 1937 WS. Only Hubbell was a star yet these pins are everywhere and only worth maybe $10 each.

Pins are like anything else....the plentiful PM-10s of Willie Mays don’t get a lot of money but certain PM-10s (even of Mays) are scarce as hens teeth and fetch big money. I have a handful of SF Giants I am looking for and some I’ve seen once or twice in 25+ years of searching.
You’re so right Rob. The Yankee pins below were all issued in 1937 but are available in very different quantities. As noted, the Hubbell is easily found. The Dickey is very difficult. There is also a Lefty Gomez in this style which is impossible to find. The Cubs pins were issued in 1952 and/or 3. The Sauer and Cavarretta show up from time to time, although neither are common. The Ramson is extremely hard to find, and a Roy Smalley is impossible. Why? Were fewer made, fewer bought and kept? I would love to know the answer, but doubt I ever will.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9825DCC1-7817-449E-9FD6-80B0DC45BACD.jpg (15.6 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg B7223D75-8C4D-4268-AFFF-CFA22A87A770.jpg (16.6 KB, 119 views)
Baseball's appeal isn't complicated or confusing. It's about the beauty of the game; it's about heroes and family and friends; it's about being part of something larger than yourself, about tradition---receiving it and passing it; and it's about holding on to a bit of your childhood.

Tom Stanton from The Road to Cooperstown