View Single Post
Old 03-26-2006, 06:43 PM
Administrator

Default Mantle vs Mays....Runs Produced Index

Posted By: Andrew Parks

Bill James ranks all-time centerfielders based on runs produced and adjusted for home parks, eras in which they played and the rest of the team's production (among other variables) this way:

1. Mays
2. Cobb
3. Mantle

Because Mays and Mantle cross careers so closely, he compared their seasons for each year they were in the league. He gives Mays the nod 15 to 7 with respect to Mays having the better year 15 times to 7 for Mantle.

Mantle may have hit .298 for his career, but in a normal era, he would have hit .313 according to James. The 50's and 60's were pitchers' eras. Furthermore, batting average is poor statistic to use to show the value of an offense player. It says that a 1b = 2b = 3b = HR and a BB = 0. How good is a stat that says that? Slugging and OBP are much more valuable.

For fun lets compare tools:

1) Raw power: Mantle slightly
2) Defense: Mays by a bunch
3) Arm strength: Mays
4) Speed: Mantle slightly
5) Hitting: Mays slightly

These guys are so close.

One other point I would like to make...Many of you guys have said that you heard your relatives all raved about Mantle. I do not mean to accuse anyone of having racist relatives, but I can't help but wonder how much of that was based on the sentiment of the day towards blacks? Just a thought...