View Single Post
Old 04-23-2023, 12:26 PM
Jeremy K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Opinions on autographs are all over the board. I would never collect them except on official documents, preferably notarized, or with ironclad provenance.

I am an autograph collector though I do dabble in cards. It is always interesting to me when people who fall to the card side of the hobby express that they would never collect autographs because "opinions are all over the board." I believe it is like any other area of collecting: do your homework and form your own opinions. In time you will see the pattern that what you consider real will largely overlap what other knowledgeable collectors do too. The converse argument that no one should buy high value cards (in better grade) because they must be altered is shored up by comments on this message board (card side) almost every day.

And while that Clemente autograph is perfectly real, in my opinion, the price is an outlier. I am all for third party authentication but it is amazing to me what PSA plastic and a number grade will do for value.